The Management of Chimpanzee Trust wishes to inform the public that after consultations with various stakeholders and putting in place Standard Operating Procedures for the containment of the possible spread of COVID-19 to chimpanzees, we are now open for tourism at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary, starting October 1st 2020.
The tourism activities at Ngamba Island Sanctuary shall be undertaken in a manner that ensures all guidelines set by the Ministry of Health. These include but not limited to:
- Mandatory temperature screening using non-contact infra-red thermometers on all boats heading to Ngamba Island.
- Mandatory hand washing / sanitizing at the entrances. Bags and equipment shall also be disinfected
- Wearing a face mask while on the boat and at the sanctuary either N95 masks or surgical masks or double-layered cloth masks with filters, AT ALL TIMES.
- Observing social distance at all times
- Government guidelines of carrying half capacity to observe social distance shall apply to all boats transporting visitors to Ngamba Island sanctuary not limited to sanctuary boats but also private boats.
- Visitors going to the sanctuary are encouraged to carry their hand sanitizer for extra safety. However, the management of the sanctuary shall avail handwashing and hand sanitization facilities at designated points at the sanctuary.
- All boat operators should send a list of visitors going to the sanctuary before trip date.
- All vessels shall operate at 50% capacity. This is to allow social distancing during travel.
- All payments for trips to Ngamba will be cashless and we advise you to pay through our online platforms or mobile money numbers shared by our Reservation Office.
- A foot bath for shoe/foot disinfection shall be availed at the entrance of the sanctuary
- Vessels and other vehicles used for transportation of guests shall be disinfected with a phenolic disinfectant before and after every trip. All luggage, including hand and equipment luggage, shall be disinfected on arrival at the sanctuary.
- Frequently touch surfaces shall be disinfected before and after every group visit.
- An isolation room has been prepared for case management of guests that may present with signs of illness.
We have trained our staff and provided them with appropriate wear to protect them and the visitors from any possible infection. Staff on duty shall sensitize the visitors on the general Government-approved COVID-19 operational guidelines including the ones developed and approved by Chimpanzee Trust management.
Detailed standard operating procedures will be made available for download on our website CLICK HERE
The safety of our staff and visitors is important to us and we shall continue to operate while exercising a high degree of caution to ensure the safety of persons is not compromised. As we welcome our visitors back into the protected areas, we continue to advise visitors to take personal precaution to prevent the spread of the Corona-virus. For more information, contact email@example.com